AgilePath's Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Business Process Management (BPM) Practice
Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Business Process Management (BPM) remain critical disciplines for delivering enterprise capabilities based on reusable Web services. AgilePath has been at the forefront of SOA for a decade, with pioneering methodologies, frameworks and solutions to accelerate your SOA initiatives and help you achieve the business value from reusable, shared enterprise services. AgilePath's SOA and BPM practice brings packaged methodology, industry best practices and proven implementation experience to your SOA and BPM efforts.
AgilePath's SOA and BPM practice will help you integrate your SOA and BPM efforts as closely-related capabilities, while enabling the full range of process-centric solutions and technologies to be applied to your enterprise.
AgilePath's clients are implementing SOA and BPM initiatives to realize a wide range of business and IT objectives, some of which are listed below:
- Transition from an application-centric IT model to business services
- Realization of an IT shared services strategy
- Increase business and IT agility with BPM and shared SOA services
- Speed time to market for new business capabilities via BPM and SOA initiatives
- Reduce application development and maintenance costs
- Reduce IT integration costs and complexity
- Support legacy application modernization requirements
- Business Process Management (BPM) is critical for enabling rapid process innovation through the use of BPM and related process-centric technologies and solutions.
- Human-centric BPM and machine-to-machine process automation
- Event-driven architecture and Complex Event Processing (CEP)
- BPEL service orchestration and choreography via SOA services
- Business rules engines and enabling technologies
- SOA-Cloud architecture realization
With the ascent of Cloud computing, SOA is even more popular, as Cloud computing is yet another example of a Service-Oriented Architecture. Cloud services and SOA services will continue to be the de facto industry standards for enterprise. AgilePath offers a complete end-to-end SOA solution for enterprises committed to SOA and BPM as an application architecture approach for their enterprise. The following methodologies, solutions and products will help your enterprise achieve its business goals for SOA and BPM:
AgilePath's Featured SOA & BPM Solutions
The following solutions and services are highlighted as part of AgilePath's SOA and BPM Practice.
AgilePath's Quad Modeling Tool: Rapid Business Services Modeling and Decomposition
AgilePath's Quad Modeling tool is a business services modeling solution that has proven to dramatically shorten the time required to decompose business domains, legacy applications, new business requirements, and Agile development user stories into their constituent business services. Leveraging AgilePath's modeling approach, an organization can source those candidate business services via SOA paradigm, Cloud services, a third-party service provider, or an outsourced model.
AgilePath's Quad Model can be used as an integrated solution that includes SOA/business services modeling, an end-to-end services lifecycle, and integration to your SOA registry/repository. AgilePath offers an Eclipse
Process Framework (EPF)-enabled version of the Quad Model to provide knowledge transfer, process enablement, and modeling process guidance for your enterprise.
AgilePath also offers a hosted SOA modeling, service lifecycle and registry/repository solution, available as a subscription-based solution.
Benefits of AgilePath's Quad Modeling Solution include the following:
- AgilePath's Quad Model is a RAD/JAD business services modeling technique that brings business, SME and IT stakeholders together to rapidly identify candidate business services using EA and SOA core patterns.
- AgilePath's Quad Model accelerates decomposition of complex business requirements, Agile user stories, logical business domains, or bottom-up legacy applications into their respective candidate business services. The Quad Model closes the time gap from business requirements to technical design and construction.
- AgilePath's Quad Model is a lightweight SOA modeling tool and methodology that has no equal based on the velocity of candidate service identification and decomposition it offers. This approach compresses the service lifecycle, helps implement service portfolio management and service reuse governance, and provides a standards modeling approach for all business services.
- AgilePath's Quad Model offers an Eclipse Process Framework implementation that can be leveraged in your enterprise, or the methodology can be licensed and adapted to your enterprise's needs.
SOA in the Cloud (Cloud Services Brokerage)
AgilePath is once again on the forefront of technology with our SOA-in-the-Cloud approach, or what Gartner Group calls a Cloud Services Brokerage (CSB). At their core, Cloud computing and SOA/Web services are fundamentally the same architecture paradigms. Therefore, the natural convergence of SOA application services and Cloud services can be realized through an integrated strategy and architecture. SOA and Cloud computing can be realized in multiple approaches, but the most compelling is the SOA-in-the-Cloud pattern, or Cloud Services Brokerage.
AgilePath offers Cloud Services Brokerage/SOA-in-the-Cloud, CSB reference model and CSB reference architecture templates to facilitate your migration to this emerging Cloud computing paradigm, as well as the technical expertise to accelerate your implementation of a CSB.
AgilePath will help you model, design, select and evaluate appropriate CSB partners, and finally, provide technical and engineering support to realize your business objectives from a CSB.
Benefits of the SOA-in-the-Cloud/CSB solution:
- Realize SOA and Cloud computing as integrated strategies and enterprise architectures for your enterprise, which saves time and leverages the best-of-breed for both technology solutions.
- Templated CSB reference model and reference architecture artifacts that will compress your time to value via the CSB operating model.
- Supports hosted SOA infrastructure and services via third-party Cloud service providers, which enable you to focus on business requirements, Business Process Management and other more business-aligned needs.
Enterprise SOA Governance
AgilePath Corporation is the market leader in the analysis, design, implementation and change management required to implement enterprise-scale SOA governance to enable the business goals of your SOA initiatives. Leveraging AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Playbook™ and supporting enterprise governance frameworks, reference models and diagnostic tools, AgilePath provides a highly templated approach to designing enterprise SOA governance that integrates into your existing enterprise IT governance approach, as well as into the corporate culture and IT strategy of your organization.
AgilePath will help you design an end-to-end SOA governance model, from the SOA PMO/CoE, to services modeling, business engagement models and enterprise architecture/design-time governance requirements, to a service portfolio, SOA registry/repository, complete services lifecycle, as well as the QA/testing tools and the run-time SOA infrastructure necessary to close the loop with run-time governance.
Benefits of AgilePath's enterprise SOA governance solutions:
- Leverages template SOA governance processes, policies, organizational designs and tools to quickly close SOA governance gaps in your enterprise
- Establishes the linkages and integration of enterprise SOA governance into your enterprise IT governance model, particularly at the enterprise architecture, Program Management Office (PMO), portfolio management, and SDLC/service lifecycle levels.
- Provides a framework that scales for SMB to large enterprises, and that can effectively provide SOA governance in complex organizations.
- AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Playbook™, which provides repeatable, template artifacts, diagnostics and templates to accelerate your SOA governance needs.
SOA Governance Process Outsourcing/Managed Services
AgilePath also offers a complete SOA governance process outsourcing/managed solution approach, whereby AgilePath will assess, design, implement and operate your SOA governance model to accelerate your SOA efforts, while helping quickly close the operational gap of SOA governance.
AgilePath has template SOA governance process frameworks to facilitate this process, and will help stabilize your SOA governance process until your organization is mature enough and ready to assume the responsibility for SOA governance.
Benefits of AgilePath's SOA governance process outsourcing/managed services solution include:
- Reduced risk of SOA governance by leveraging AgilePath's experienced resources and proven governance frameworks to rapidly implement SOA governance without hiring specialized personnel or buying SOA governance software and tools.
- Rapidly implement SOA governance configured to your enterprise by leveraging industry best practices, proven methodologies and frameworks
- Reduced cost of governance via subscription pricing to a full-featured SOA governance capability, from SOA modeling to an end-to-end services lifecycle, to a hosted service registry/repository.
- Rapid time to SOA business value via accelerated ability to govern SOA, and realize the benefits of shared, reusable enterprise services.
ESB Assessment and Selection Methodology
The need for robust and reliable messaging infrastructure to support a SOA program inspired AgilePath to develop its ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) evaluation and selection methodology. The question of whether you need an ESB, or some other implementation of messaging technologies, can only be answered through a functional requirements analysis model. AgilePath's ESB assessment methodology provides that model.
AgilePath's ESB assessment methodology is based on a functional decomposition and analysis of the key requirements for reliable messaging infrastructure and ESBs, and then decomposes those key requirements into their constituent attributes. AgilePath's ESB assessment methodology is illustrated below:
This approach will ensure you select the appropriate messaging tools and technologies for your SOA, no more and no less than you need. AgilePath's team will help guide you through the vendor evaluation process, work through your choice of open source ESB solutions versus proprietary commercial licensed products, and will help with proof of concepts, pilots and the eventual implementation of your messaging platform.
AgilePath's SOLAR Playbook™ for Legacy Modernization and Service-Oriented Integration
Many organizations are leveraging a SOA initiative to modernize their legacy application portfolios and to simplify their IT integration challenges by eliminating point-to-point interfaces and replacing them with reusable data services and data access services, the most common form of legacy integration today. AgilePath's SOLAR Playbook™ (Service-Oriented Legacy Asset Rationalization) is a repeatable methodology that enables a rapid analysis of your legacy application portfolio and integration portfolio, and then creates a SOLAR migration roadmap that will help you prune the legacy portfolio, modernize selected applications based on your business and IT objectives, and then begin the technical migration after a risk assessment review.
AgilePath's SOLAR Playbook™ also leverages the Quad Modeling approach to decompose legacy applications into business services, which accelerates the legacy modernization process.
Benefits of AgilePath's SOLAR Playbook™:
- Structured approach to rationalization your legacy application portfolio and modernizing it via SOA.
- SOLAR Playbook™ approach targets both your legacy application portfolio as well as your integration portfolio, both of which represent major costs to your enterprise.
- Leverages AgilePath's Quad Modeling framework to quickly model and decompose legacy applications into SOA-based solutions, and to develop cost estimates for your SOA modernization needs.
- SOLAR Playbook™ establishes multiple legacy disposition options for all legacy applications, which include replacement, rewriting, re-platforming, rationalizing/eliminating, SOA-enabling, or refactoring.
- SOLAR Playbook™ explicitly addresses legacy modernization risk via a risk mitigation phase and rapid prototyping for high risk application modernization requirements, and Go/No Go criteria.
More AgilePath SOA and BPM Solutions
AgilePath's Enterprise SOA Playbook™
AgilePath's capstone solution is our Playbook™ family of end-to-end methodologies for all things SOA, from strategy development to SOA governance, SOA implementation, and legacy modernization via use of SOA.
AgilePath's patent-pending SOA Playbook™ is the industry's leading vendor-neutral end-to-end SOA planning and implementation methodology. Developed to address the emerging requirements of Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA), AgilePath's SOA Playbook™ has delivered client success based on its rich body of artifacts and templates that provide a documented, step-by-step "playbook" for your SOA strategy and roadmaps, SOA governance and policy enforcement, architecture planning and SOA enablement tool selection, and ultimately SOA and services implementation.
Packaged, end-to-end SOA planning, architecture and implementation framework that involves four broad activities:
- SOA Business Discovery: SOA assessment, maturity, business drivers and goal identification, as well as a comprehensive SOA assessment framework that represents all the major requirements of enterprise SOA.
- SOA Strategy and Roadmap Development: Development of a complete SOA strategy and roadmap, which includes an opportunity roadmap, services roadmap, technology roadmap and governance roadmap, along with an SOA business case.
- SOA Mobilization and Awareness: Analysis of alternatives, SOA education and training, and SOA ramp activities in preparation for an enterprise rollout of SOA initiatives across the organization.
- SOA Implementation: Iterative approach to implementing SOA based on the SOA strategy, business and IT imperatives, and prioritized SOA goals.
BPM and Process-Centric Requirements
AgilePath will help your organization determine what BPM and other process-centric tools it needs to support its business and IT objectives. AgilePath's team will help you understand the various choices you have with respect to BPM technologies and tools, and to make the right decisions for tools, vendors, and implementation options. BPM technologies include the following:
- Business Process Management (BPM) (Human-centric, machine-to-machine)
- Business Process Modeling Tools (BPMN)
- SOA Business Process Orchestration (BPEL Engines)
- SOA Business Process Choreography (WS-Choreography)
- Event-Driven Architecture (EDA) and Complex Event Processing (CEP) tools
- Business Rules Engines (BRE) and related technologies
AgilePath will also help integrate and align these BPM tools within your SOA strategy, or within an integrated SOA-Cloud strategy.
Enterprise Governance Playbook™
Packaged enterprise SOA governance model design and implementation methodology to accelerate your SOA governance requirements.
SOA Funding and Budgeting Playbook™
Packaged methodology to accelerate your funding, budgeting and incentive models to help achieve SOA, service sharing and reuse, and maximum return on the investment in your SOA initiatives. This SOA Playbook™ thread is closely related to the Enterprise Governance Playbook™.
SOA Solution Technical Implementation Playbook™
Packaged SOA and services implementation methodology to accelerate SOA realization based on the fundamental SOA implementation patterns described below:
AgilePath's SOA Playbook™ has been refactored into our new SOA Acceleration Solutions, which offer pre-packaged education, workshops and SOA Sprints focused on key SOA competency domains.