AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Practice
AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Practice is a management consulting service focused on the analysis, design, implementation, change management and performance monitoring required to drive competitive advantage and improved business performance through appropriate, right sized why capabilities, processes, policies and technologies.
Based on AgilePath's research and client experiences, there are many reasons why organizations choose to rethink their Enterprise Governance capabilities:
- Strengthen IT Strategic Planning and Investment Planning Processes
- Drive shareholder value through improved operations and execution
- Run “IT as a Business” to generate a true Return on Investment
- Deliver Business Services and IT Capabilities at "Cloud Speed"
- Support adoption of emerging technology by adding new Governance domains and disciplines, e.g. Mobile, App Store, SOA, Data Governance, Cloud computing
- Integration, consolidation and elimination of IT Governance silos and establish an integrated Enterprise Governance Framework
- Right-size and rationalize policies, procedures and processes to enable Agile, Event-Driven and Effective Enterprise Governance
- Drive superior IT Performance, Efficiencies and Cost Savings through improved Enterprise Governance
AgilePath is an Enterprise Governance pioneer, bringing innovation, scientific approaches, and proven methodologies to the Enterprise Governance industry. AgilePath's research and best practices come from years of analysis, design and implementation of various Enterprise Governance domains, from IT Corporate Governance and Enterprise Strategy, to Investment Planning and Portfolio Management, SOA Governance and Data Governance, and SDLC Governance and ITIL integration.
AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Practice is based on multiple frameworks, methodologies and reference models, which have been applied across AgilePath's Commercial and Public Sector client base.
AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Playbook™ Methodology brings a robust body of science, theory and pragmatic, proven implementation experience to the Enterprise Governance industry. AgilePath's practice begins with our Enterprise Governance Framework and AgilePath's Governance Four Tier Model, which provide the master reference models and enterprise context for understanding various Enterprise Governance challenges, mapping them into the Enterprise structure and organization, and developing solutions to improve performance and drive business, IT and shareholder value.
AgilePath has been on the forefront of Enterprise Governance for years, beginning with commercial governance projects as early as 2005. The Company's Enterprise Governance practice is based on its proprietary Enterprise Governance Playbook™, and is supported by a wide variety of Enterprise Governance diagnostic tools and frameworks, including the following:
- Enterprise Governance Playbook™
- AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Framework
- Four Tiered Governance Model™
- Governance Reference Model™
- Governance SWOT and SPOT Assessment Tools
AgilePath's innovations also include a new set of solutions focused on Governance Process Outsourcing (GPO) and Managed Services.
AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Featured Solutions
AgilePath features the following Enterprise Governance solutions:
- Governance Process Outsourcing and Managed Services
- Event-Driven Governance Models
- Shareholder Rights Model of IT Governance
These are explained in detail below.
Governance Process Outsourcing and Managed Services
AgilePath has developed a body of template Enterprise Governance frameworks that lend themselves to Governance Process Outsourcing and Managed Services approaches for our Clients. In the role of Governance Service Provider (GSP), AgilePath will assume complete responsibility for all of your end-to-end Enterprise Governance requirements, or focus our efforts on specific underperforming governance domains, e.g. Program Management Office (PMO), Enterprise Architecture, Portfolio Management, SOA Governance, or others.
Benefits of this approach include the following:
- Outsource the politics of governance, while streamlining and achieving performance and key metrics from focused governance.
- Achieve rapid improvements in Governance performance, while allowing your team to focus on other areas of IT value.
- Close critical governance gaps while you rethink your Enterprise Governance approach, staffing model, and performance targets to rebuild internal skills and knowledge
- Drive financial efficiencies by leveraging the resources, knowledge and skills of a dedicated Governance Service Provider
Another AgilePath innovation is Event-Driven Governance™. Event-Driven Governance emphasized a model of agile, lightweight governance whereby oversight processes and governance boards are triggered by governance events, such as gate reviews, exceptions, escalations, and the like. In this governance model design approach, a lean yet highly effective Enterprise Governance model can be implemented that is not bloated with governance committees and review boards, but rather is enabled and empowered by Event-Driven concepts.
Benefits of Event-Driven Governance include the following:
- Implement a lean, lightweight governance model with fewer standing governance boards, committees and meetings
- Realize benefits of self-governance, collaborative governance and on-demand policy enforcement mechanisms
- Target your governance efforts for the important decisions, policies or oversight needs of your enterprise through a more effective governance model design
- Implement a balanced governance model in which clarity of policies and processes helps lessen the over-dependence on manual, committee-driven governance models
Shareholder Rights Model for IT Governance
AgilePath's newest innovation in Enterprise Governance is the development of an IT Governance Model based on shareholder rights concepts. AgilePath's research has uncovered major flaws and gaps in the ways that major enterprises govern IT strategy and investment planning, and then transition those IT priorities into well-orchestrated business outcomes via completed projects. AgilePath's Shareholder Rights Model of IT Governance develops a framework for introducing shareholder rights into IT Governance, and also balancing the respective roles and responsibilities of IT Shareholders with IT Stakeholders.
Benefits of the IT Shareholder Governance Model include the following:
- Understanding of IT Shareholders and IT Stakeholders, and how they align
- Balancing of IT Governance between strategic planning and investment planning processes, and the operational governance that ensures execution of IT strategy
- Broader involvement of the enterprise in IT investment planning activities, while extending IT Shareholder involvement in IT operational execution
- Implementation of IT Transparency and Reporting so that Business Shareholders know exactly what IT is doing to drive business value
AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Framework, Methodologies and Tools
AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Framework is illustrated below. This model provides the master Enterprise context for decomposing governance challenges against this functional view.
In addition, to this Framework, AgilePath's Four Tiered Governance Model tool provides an organizational, functional and process relationship view of Enterprise Governance to help identify governance ownership, organizational placement, and governance integration threads.
Beginning with these initial Enterprise Governance frameworks and tools, AgilePath can quickly isolate on your critical governance requirements, and craft ways to analyze, design, implement and sustain your target state Enterprise Governance model via change management, organizational design, and mentoring.
Additional Enterprise Governance Solutions and Capabilities
The following are additional AgilePath Enterprise Governance solutions and services offered by AgilePath Corporation under our Enterprise Governance practice:
- Governance Consolidation and Rationalization: AgilePath will assess your current Enterprise Governance model and identify areas for consolidation, simplification and rationalization using our proven methodologies. AgilePath's solutions will replace your governance silos with governance gears, which connect to enable superior performance.
- Governance Performance Assessments: AgilePath will leverage its Enterprise Governance Playbook to assess your current governance performance, using industry metrics and benchmarks. A Governance Performance Assessment will help you identify ways to improve your governance capabilities.
- Enterprise Policy Assessment and Rationalization: AgilePath will leverage its Enterprise Policy Model framework to inventory your Enterprise Policies, prioritize those policies, and then rationalize them to a meaningful enterprise policy model. Many enterprises have conflicting, outdated, redundant or irrelevant policies that are sources of confusion and friction. Rationalizing policies is a first step toward simplifying your Enterprise Governance Model.
- Governance Dashboard Design and Implementation: AgilePath will help you design and implement a Governance Dashboard that will help you manage critical governance processes, and more importantly monitor performance metrics for key domain governance requirements. What is measured gets done. A Governance Dashboard is critical to ensuring business and IT Performance via a best-in-class Enterprise Governance model.
- Enterprise Governance Change Management Services: AgilePath understands that change management is critical to ensuring that your to-be governance model “takes hold” in your organization, based on the corporate culture and particular dynamics of your enterprise. AgilePath's change management capabilities build on behavior sciences approaches to change the culture and behavior, and support those changes with incentives and rewards.
- Organizational Design and Governance Alignment: Enterprise Governance is typically necessary to offset weaknesses in various organizational designs. AgilePath's team can help you consider various organizational design approaches to optimize the performance of your organization, and enable the appropriate Enterprise Governance Model to enable optimal performance.
- ITIL Integration with Enterprise Governance Processes: The wide industry adoption of ITIL has caused great demand for knowledge of how ITIL integrates with upstream and supporting domain governance requirements. AgilePath's team can help you implement ITIL such that it is not an ITIL silo, but rather is part of an integrated Enterprise Governance model.
AgilePath's Enterprise Governance Project Experience
AgilePath's team will help connect Corporate Governance to the business and IT governance processes that implement the goals and strategies devised by Corporate Governance.
AgilePath's consulting team members understand how to define and implement enterprise governance processes and supporting policies for large, distributed and federated organizations based on various structural and organizational designs. Enterprise Governance requires a repeatable model of scaling governance processes for large scale enterprises, and AgilePath brings that experience.
Information Technology (IT) Governance
AgilePath works with clients to assess, model, define, and implement enterprise IT governance processes and supporting policies in alignment with business, mission, and IT objectives. Many of these engagements focus on IT strategy and planning, business and IT alignment, and IT investment planning processes based on the strategic priorities of the enterprise.
SOA Governance and Policy Enforcement
Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) governance is the process of ensuring all business and IT stakeholders' interests are served by the planning, funding, and execution of an enterprise SOA initiative. AgilePath's SOA Playbook™ provides a medium to quickly assess, design, and plan for the implementation of key governance processes, policies, organizations, and tools to support a policy-drive SOA governance model.
Enterprise Architecture (EA) Governance
EA governance involves the oversight and conformance to the EA standards and policies of the organization, as well as input into key EA decisions. AgilePath helps organizations define and plan for implementation of robust enterprise architecture processes, enterprise architecture governance, and appropriate change management and implementation support to ensure that EA Governance is instilled in the culture and behavioral model of its clients' enterprises.
AgilePath has proven capabilities implementing data architecture and data governance processes for the United States Department of Defense (“DoD”) and Commercial enterprises, as well as transitioning from a data strategy to robust implementations of data services, canonical data models, and supporting vocabulary artifacts.
Enterprise Portfolio Management
AgilePath helps our clients plan and implement robust enterprise portfolio management processes, including IT portfolio management, services portfolio management, application portfolio, legacy portfolio rationalization, and capability portfolio management.
Program and Project Portfolio Governance
Program Governance refers to the oversight of major programs, projects, and initiatives from a cost, schedule, and performance perspective, often performed by a Program Management Office (“PMO”). A PMO is the department or group within an organization that defines and maintains the standards of process generally related to project management. AgilePath provides a roadmap to Program Governance that translates strategies and initiatives into action.
SDLC/Systems Engineering Governance
AgilePath has rich experience in connecting higher-level Enterprise Governance processes and polices to the systems engineering and software development lifecycle processes of large organizations. This focus on SDLC/Systems Engineering governance typically results in better on-time project delivery, reduced costs associated with project overruns, and better IT performance on behalf of the business.
Agile Development Governance
AgilePath also provides a lightweight governance framework for Agile software development, such that an organization can reap the benefits of Agile, while also realizing the transparency and control of best-in-class governance processes and capabilities. Agile development without appropriate governance can result in increased costs and risk.
Compliance and Risk Management
While many governance challenges can ultimately be viewed from a Compliance and Risk Management perspective, AgilePath's methodology and approach incorporate these as dimensions of the overall Enterprise Governance model. AgilePath's methodology, as we have demonstrated, works for any governance domain or focus area, including Compliance and Risk.
ITIL, ITSM, IT-CMF and other IT Operations Frameworks
AgilePath's methodologies and frameworks help organizations implement other industry governance frameworks by integrating them into core Enterprise Governance processes, and operationalizing them via AgilePath's Governance Reference Model. These industry frameworks require the detailed science and experience provided by AgilePath in order to be successful.